Blog Archive

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Facebook post #3

Christopher Hook So, I was reading the top stories on Google's French homepage... scandals in government and the recovery of a missing child are the top stories (meaning most read). I then turn to the top US headlines: Joey Chestnut wins Hot Dog eating contest. That's about as brutal an example of the differences between US and French culture as can be.

Trip Hook
Yes, because Lord knows every American loves and cares about competitive hot dog eating. I think it's got more to do with the demographics of Google users in the respective countries.


Christopher Hook
Ok, but I guarantee you couldnt find a sizeable segment of the French population who would care so friggin much about competitive cheese eating. Americans across the country care about the contest: thats why it is shown on national television. Even if it is a cult phenomenon, it says something about us as a nation


Trip Hook
Do any Americans you know REALLY care about competitive hot dog eating? What it says about us as a nation is that, from time to time, we enjoy watching people do silly things. Incidentally, the headline in my morning paper was "Inflatable Cow Fishing Contest Underway in Sète".


Christopher Hook ok, that is a regional contest. its not something paris or even marseilles cares about. and yeah, i think we care about it, like we care about any cult phenomenon like reality TV. and its become a 4th of july tradition... traditions say a lot about us

Christopher Hook
and it wouldnt be so bad, except that we make these kinds of things part of our daily lives... not to mention that competitive eating is so representative of a nation of excess, of bad health, of consumption; admittedly france has some of these qualities (watch the movie la grande bouffe).

Trip Hook
Really? Hot dog eating contests are a part of our daily lives? I'm quite sure that they write articles like this because people read it and laugh at the very notion of a hot dog eating contest, if not that the top dog in the field (no pun intended) is a petite Japanese guy. It's not even an American newspaper that reported this!

Trip Hook
Just do me a favor and don't be one of those Americans that comes to Europe and starts validating and reinforcing negative and silly stereotypes. Our culture has its faults like any other, but I don't think gross gluttony like this represents me or the US that I know in any respect except that we like to laugh at people embarrassing themselves (turn on TF1 for 5 minutes and tell me the French don't feel the same way).

Christopher Hook
I'm not. In fact I defended America today from a French jeune who attacked us (in a less offensive way, i just cant think of another word at this late hour) for driving big cars... and i said that in fact thats changing, were driving smaller cars, the government is encouraging better emission standards on cars.. believe me, i'm not at all. And I suspect that the Nathan's Hot Dog contest is more than just a spectacle to laugh at.

Christopher Hook
joey chestnut was on letterman the other day... we love him, and that an American has finally taken the reins as hot dog champion of the world from kobayashi

Trip Hook
I don't know what gets people talking at water coolers in Ohio, but to suggest that Americans as a people "care" about the outcome of this event or take it seriously does not reflect my experience as an American. I cannot imagine a conversation taking place regarding this event that does not involve laughter, disbelief, or one where people actually know the competitors' names ahead of time. I don't find the 15 minutes of attention this events gets per year to be a particularly "brutal" revelation of our cultural inferiority.

Trip Hook
Also, it's convenient for Europeans to suggest that they drive smaller cars out of altruism and reverence for the environment, but I suspect is has as much to do with the high price of fuel and the incredibly narrow roads. I drove a compact to Spain last weekend and still can't believe the thing fit down some of the streets I had to take.

Devon Holliday
Hahaha. Did you watch the Colbert report "The Word" segment - "Who War It Best?" Basically highlighting the fact that America is at war and usually only those directly affected by it are those who are aware of that fact. When reading your status it was the first thing that came to my mind.


The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
The Word - Who War It Best?
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full Episodes2010 ElectionFox News

Oh, BTW- The top two searches via Google trends as of 45 minutes ago were regarding Kobayashi.
I ♥ citizens of America!!

Michael Fhaner
Look Chris the economy is bad enough, lets not include the members of Major League Eating in the unemployment numbers. They have the right to work. Isn't that really what we are talking about a persons right to work.. :) As for the French, I am sure there is something we Americans would find silly that the French hold as a sacred tradition. Let them eat grapes.

Christopher Hook
Mr. Fhaner- Yeah, I don't protest anything about what they're doing... anything to make a buck. I'll down a bunch of lemonade-softened hot dogs on live TV if it earns me sponsorships and some cashola. Bring on Joey "Jaws" Chestnut, he apparently hasn't seen me down a dog before. It was probably a good thing I was in France for the 4th, or I woulda really cleared out some barbeques... Heh heh. PS- I hope the hot dog eating contest isn't really a "sacred tradition"-- I might barf from the thought of it. Is this what we fought the War against England for? To try and break 60 hot dogs in a minute? As long as we're not being taxed for them, I suppose...

Tripper- yeah, I don't think Europeans actually criticize us so much for all of our excesses... I do, but their criticism is mostly framed in ubiquitous arguments they learn from their parents and the media, just like we have our own stereotypes of them. I think most Europeans actually love and perhaps envy our culture... if only they knew we had public golf courses and public tennis courts (for free), we might see em over here in droves... not to mention the 65 cent big gulps and 2 dollar pitchers. Being excessive is fun and makes for a good time. But my argument dear cousin is that this provides a snapshot of a cultural tradition that framed in the traditional mindsets of Europeans, comes across as representative of the kind of America that shoots off fifty pounds of fireworks in our backyards just to watch shit blow up, votes in cowboy presidents because we'd "enjoy having a beer with him," and has an obesity problem that is one of the worst in the world. I think there is something inherent about a hot dog eating contest that distinguishes it from Europe. I can say that with some experience too. I cringe at what my German European Politics professor would say about such a spectacle...

Karlton 'Karty' Shoemaker
Joey Chestnut is a real American hero.


Debra-Lynn Hook
Ugh

Steven Zoller
lol. But I somehow feel like that is a plus for America - we're always looking on the bright side!


Trip Hook
Good points - I agree that it reinforces a stereotype, I just don't really agree that it's fair. To me, suggesting that this is indicative of American gluttony is like suggesting that the running of the bulls is indicative of a Spanish recklessness - silly traditions are the spice of life. Anyway, clearly I'm just battle hardened after 7 months of having this argument. The American obesity epidemic is far more complicated than a simple question of excess, but that notion is so deeply rooted in the global narrative on US culture that it's hard to crack.

Abby Greer
I'm just curious to know who Trip Hook is....GREAT discussion! I love your points!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment